|Date 1st Review Due
|Next Review Due
Egham Park School is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Rationale: Off-site visits enable Egham Park School students to learn through participation and to develop interpersonal skills, gain self-esteem, life skills, to recognise potential in themselves, and to challenge and support each other outside the school in support of their curricular and life needs. This Policy should be read in conjunction with advice from www.hse.gov.uk – School Trips & Outdoor Learning Activities
Roles and Responsibilities:
All off-site activities need permission from the Principal.
Trip leaders must have:
- Overall responsibility for the group
- Ensure that a meeting point is allocated and that all are aware
- Have completed the relevant Risk Assessment
- Have all relevant medical details and medication
- Responsibility for delegating supervisory responsibilities to other staff
- Responsibility for head counts.
- Responsibility for monitoring students at regular intervals.
- Responsibility for ensuring that lines of communication between the school, staff and pupils remain open at all times.
- Responsibility for ongoing risk assessment during the visit.
- Determine the level of first aid that may be required and nominate a trained First Aider to have this responsibility.
- Ensure all staff accompanying a school trip must have Enhanced DBS clearance.
In the event of an emergency the Principal and/or Trip Leader will follow the Emergency Procedure (written below) for an Off-Site Visit to inform parents and Surrey if applicable.
Aims and Objectives:
- To ensure that risks to Health & Safety are mitigated to a level commensurate with the nature of the activity involved in any visits.
- To ensure that all visits serve an educational/social educational purpose that is closely related to the relevant curriculum area.
- To ensure that all students are offered the opportunity to take part in off-site visits and that reasonable adjustments are made for any Special Educational Need.
- To ensure that students’ education is enriched by taking part in appropriate school visits.
Off-Site Emergency Procedure:
If it is an accident-related emergency –
- Designated First Aider to evaluate situation and call 999 (or appropriate first-aider at the facility) and remain with student
- Then advise Principal of action taken.
- Principal to inform parent/guardian.
If the emergency relates to a student in difficulty (student absconds, getting lost etc.)
- The Trip Leader to head to the agreed meeting point
- The Trip Leader to call pupils mobile if applicable
- The trip leader to contact the Principal
- Principal to contact parent
- Call 999 if relevant.
- Follow missing pupil procedure if relevant.
Pupils are expected to follow Egham Park School’s rules at all times and be aware that they are representing Egham Park School.